Monday, August 26, 2013
Early Fall Sewing #2: simplicity 2444
This is the second item in my early fall sewing project.
I used Simplicity 2444, a pattern I had wanted to make for a long time, but for some reason didn't. It's a theme in this current sewing plan I have, to finally make patterns I have wanted to make for a while. S2444, an Archer (coming soon!), a Cambie, a circle skirt, a proper shirtdress...I'm really liking these plans!
This is Simplicity 2444 in a straight size 10. I always choose my size according to the finished measurements that are usually printed on the pattern pieces. I couln't find the waist measurement, so I measured myself instead. I obviously wasn't very meticulous about it as the finished dress is a tiny bit small at the waist. I also adjusted the lenght of the sleeves.
I lowered the back neckline in a V-shape, just because it's so easy to do and I think it's a sweet detail. To do so, I simply folded the pattern piece, making sure not to affect the shoulder seam. I also replaced the facings with a lining, wich I prefer. A lining makes the dress looks much neater inside, and it allows to enclose both the waist and shoulder seams easily. Facings are so often floppy and annoying.
The sleeve hems are bound with a contrast bias tape for a bit of contrast. I played with the idea of binding the neckline as well, but I can't make up my mind. Well, I can always go back and add a bias binding later. I hemmed the skirt with the same bias tape as well, wich is my new favorite technique for hemming skirst that are not straight. The bias tape just eases into the curve, so no puckers! In this case, it also gives a bit of body to the skirt, as the tape is stiffer than the fabric. I prickstitched the zipper in place, after stabilizing the zipper opening with some strips of fusible interfacing. Stabilizing the zipper opening is such a game-changer. Seriously, it makes inserting a zipper so much easier, I can't believe I didn't do that before. Sunni demonstrates it in her Craftsy class (which is awesome, by the way) and I'll never look back. I don't have her nifty tape, but I cut strips of fusible interfacing and it works like a charm. I added a hook and eye at the waist seam, because it was opening up a bit. Finally, I cut the front skirt piece on the fold, as I didn't see the point in having a seam down the front of the skirt and my fabric was too narrow to not cut on the fold anyways.
The fabric is a printed polyester i bought in Paris. I love the print! Simple and graphic. The fabric drapes nicely, but has a tendency to cling. Maybe I'll go back and add a lining to the skirt as well. Or just wear a slip.
I really enjoyed this pattern. It's simple and versatile and the double slanted darts are cute. I love that the pattern includes sleeves (even if i had to fuss quite a bit with them because of the insane amount of sleevecap ease) so that the pattern can easily transition into winter. It's easy enough to modify the neckline or switch the skirt for a totally different look! It is a pattern that can be appropriated and modified endlessly.