Friday, March 22, 2013

Laurel

So... I'm not breaking any news by telling that Colette patterns newest pattern is a little shift dress. I have to admit that my first thought was of disappointment. It is a really simple design, after all. And a shift dress? I never wear a shift.
Image from the Coletterie
But I have to say the idea of it grew on me. I never wear shift dresses because they never fit me. If they fit in the shoulders, then I cant pull the dress down over my hips. So I actually do not know if a shift could be a good style for me. I like to showcase and define my waist, but the idea of a more freeflowing garment is very attractive from a comfort point of view. I also quite like the idea of this dress being a blank canvas. I like clothes with simple lines and fun details and this pattern offers me just this. It is the perfect pattern for creative embelishment.

So I ordered a copy. A paper copy, despite the offensive shipping costs, because I avoid having to spend an hour taping together a zillion paper pieces if I don't have to. And a Colette pattern is such a pretty object in itself... It was shipped today, so I probably have a couple of weeks to scheme while the pattern travels from the other side of the world. I have this idea of combining appliqué and cut-out to create a pattern in a contrasting color at the neckline.

I see this as an experiment in style. I'm actually quite curious to see if I can pull of a shift dress, when it actually fits. We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see your finished result! I'm sure it will be lovely considering that everything you make turns out that way. I felt the same way when I first saw this pattern though, slightly disappointed that it was "just" a shift dress because I think of them as kind of boring and definitely unflattering on most body types, but you did make me reconsider it a bit. And I have to admit, I do like the alternating vertical/horizontal stripes they did with their version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing yours, too! I pounced on the pattern because I love anything with a youthful, '60's vibe, but once I downloaded it, I started to panic a little. I'm pretty rectangular, so this might not look great on me, and I'll have to be careful with my fabric choices to make sure it doesn't look like a nightgown. But it really is a classic, sweet look, so I'm excited to see finished Laurels pop up on blogs!

    ReplyDelete